Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Made That! - Sign-able Frame Edition

I got the idea for this project from a family members baby shower. She got a sign-able frame that I thought was a really cute keepsake. However, it was kind of small, and therefore we were only able to really sign our names and not our wishes for our new little family member.
When it came time for me to throw my sister her baby shower I knew immediately that I wanted to make a sign-able frame. This was such an easy project for me because I was able to grab a few items and make something amazing.

I got a large photo frame from Superstore, unfortunately they no longer have these frames. I then got some pink paper, because I was being blessed with a niece, some scrap book sticker letters and some little flower appliques.


My sister had the wonderful opportunity of doing a pregnancy photo shoot with her friend and I got a copy of the photo for the frame. And with a pink pen for signing, the project was complete.
This is a wonderful idea for any occasion really, and that is why I've made some more for friends and family.

Here is a themed baby shower one. My cousin was going to do her baby's room in Winnie the Pooh so I printed off a picture to put in the frame, so that it wasn't empty when it was opened. And at a later date when the baby arrives, Mommy can put a more personal image in from the shower or of the new bundle of joy!

(Picture coming soon!)

Here is another baby shower sign-able frame. I wasn't sure if the skull and cross bone booties were appropiate for a baby shower, but it worked and the Mommy really enjoyed it!


Ive also made a sign-able frame for my friends birthday party. She was having a black and gold theme so that's what I went with here.

 


In the Summer, a friend of mine was having a baby shower and I wanted to send a lil gift for her new addition. Of course I decided to make one of my sign-able frames, duh! But this was a different type of frame, because this was the first one I made that was for a baby boy! I thought this would be SO easy, but when I got to Michael's and walked all the aisles in the scrap booking section I was stumped. I could not find the right size letters, I could not add my usual flowers and I needed to find something that wasn't teddy bears and rattles. I was told it was a "Rock Star" theme, so I tried my best to find the right pieces to make this frame complete. Overall I think my first boy frame turned out great and hopefully the next boy frame I make has as cute a theme as this :)




Some tips for making your own Sign-able Frames -

1. Make it personal by adding elements that match the theme or the person receiving the frame.
2. You can find many "pre made" sign-able frames at craft stores now. They often come with a thick black marker for signing. Purchase some coloured thin pens to use on the matt board as that thick black marker can be too much.
3. I usually give a coloured and black marker/pen. This helps give the matt board some depth and is also good incase one of your markers runs out of ink (this happened at my sisters baby shower)
4. Give the frame with a theme related image or photo already in place, but remind the one receiving the frame that they are welcome to take it out and replace it with whatever they like. Sometimes Mom's have pregnancy shoots to add, or a group photo from the shower or a photo of the baby are all great options.
5. Sign your name before you give the gift. This gives you a chance to use a colour no one else will :)

These are a great gift idea and are so easy to personalize for any occasion.

Come back soon, and Ill show you what else Ive made!

-AR

No comments:

Post a Comment