Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Made That! - Baby Growth Chart Edition

Next up on my list of things to do for my sister, that was blessing me with a niece, was to make a growth chart. I 'borrowed' this idea from my cousin, Paula Roberts, who lives in Atlanta and is SUPER talented. If you’re ever in the area, look her up!

At the time, my sister was living with her in-laws and I knew that at some point they would be moving into a place of their own. Now every kid remembers standing up against a wall in their childhood home and having their parent mark their height and date on the wall. Sometimes when I go home I can still see my height marks in the garage. The only problem is, I can’t take that wall with me, and if the house ever sells that memory wall will be gone forever.

When my sister told me she was expecting, my design brain went into over drive. We didn’t know what she was having right away so I came up with two design schemes for a nursery. I found a card in a magazine with a Momma and Baby owl perched on a branch and thought it was so cute, so I convinced her owl theme for a girl. If she was to have a boy, I had a whole pirate ship theme for the lil’guy. When she found out it was 100% a baby girl, owls was the way we went. (I know your thinking 'way over contorl sister' but honestly she liked every idea I had)

My Inspiration:

I got some canvas from the local art store. Cut it to size, sewed the edges so they would be nice and clean. I made a space at the top to slide a dowel through, that I got at the local hardware store. I picked up some acrylic paints from the art store and got to work. I scanned the images separately and blew them up to represent a larger owl for the Dad and a smaller owl for the Mom. Baby I made a bit smaller for the bottom. I even painted the owls with their appropriate coloured eyes to represent each as well as their body colours.

Ta-Da!-


I got some pink vinyl for the leaves and cut them as hearts. I alternated them from front and back to show contrast between the leaves. When it was time to visit my sister and niece at home, I presented my sister with this baby gift.

I think this is a great gift idea for all children because no matter where you live it can go with you. It also is something that can match their room decor and is something that can be kept forever and they can have when they get older.

Come back soon, and Ill share with you some other things I've made.

-AR

No comments:

Post a Comment