Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tiny Tip

This is a fun thing I did recently that I wanted to share. I cant take all the credit, because it was a shopping trip with my love one day, who shared his light bulb moment with me.

I decided one day that I no longer liked the collection of coasters I had accumulated over the last several years. I had a set of the glass ones you put pictures in, which I always felt like I never had enough of, only 4 coasters, really?

And then there was the array of cardboard bar coasters I had collected on my journeys. With their different drink labels on them they didn't always match my decor. But really, cardboard coasters for my family and friends?

I had been to Urban Barn for a few accessories and remembered seeing some felt coasters. Perfect! Not only are they not going to scratch my coffee table but they are going to soak up any water dripping off of glasses and bottles.

I ventured back to Urban Barn for the coasters. I was dreaming of a fun scroll-y pattern in a bright colour, maybe an orange. The coasters were not available in my colour of choice, but they did have sets of 4 coasters for about $6. Not a huge amount of money I thought, since Id only need a few packages. Then my love came across a green felt place mat with a circle pattern. It matched our decor, and circles are scroll-y-ish. "Why don't you buy this place matt for 4.97 and cut your own coasters" Ah ha!

So, that is exactly what I did. Even more exciting, it was $0.99 when I went to pay!

Here are some pics.






Come back soon, and I'll share some more!

-AR

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea - especially a placemat which is designed for a similar purpose. Really, you could buy any style of placemat you liked and trace circles or squares and slice it up accordingly! If it was too thin, attaching it to cork board or felt would probably work well too, right?

    I'm too much of a slob to actually USE coasters, but still, I appreciate their design value ;)

    ReplyDelete