Saturday, January 21, 2012

10. Moulding & Trim


Moulding and Trims, hmm, where to start. I guess it was last on the list because it was not the first thing I thought of. I don’t know if it is the first thing anyone thinks of when it comes to design.  I know it is generally the last thing to be installed, once the flooring is done and the walls are painted and the budget is all gone. Then we are often left with “standard” in stock “builder’s grade” mouldings for these beautiful spaces we have created that are anything but “standard”.

When you’re going out for a night on the town, do you just throw on whatever shoes are by the front door? Maybe, sometimes. But trim is like the shoes to our design and something that should never be overlooked. 

When I went to school we were taught all about “scale”. Scale and proportions are some of the main principles of design. And scale is used in many ways in design. Draw to scale, design to scale, where is your scale ruler? Scale can refer to many things. Maybe it is because this was drilled into my head for 4 years I now know how to perfectly pack a car trunk with 72 bags of purchases from a day across the border ;)

I never paid much attention to the scale of trims and mouldings until I moved into a fairly large scale apartment with 10 ft ceilings. It was a heritage building with beautiful plaster walls, floor to ceiling windows cased in the thickest trim I have ever seen.  You see, the space was so grand, that “standard” 3 inch high pre primed mdf baseboard and door trims just would not do. I’m not sure how long those mouldings had been there, the 100 layers of paint made it hard to tell, but I loved them.

I started paying more attention to trim and mouldings. I could point them out anywhere. And I was now looking at ways to build or stack mouldings for my “dream house”. There are many tricks of the trade when it comes to mouldings and trims and what one can do with them, really the possibilities are endless.  After all picture frames are just different types of molding cut on a 45 and nailed together. Add some glass and voila! The same goes for mirrors, furniture doors, trays...

Once I started looking into different moulding and trims, I could see that the cost can get pretty high. Whether you go with traditional plaster mouldings, solid wood stained mouldings, or the paintable mdf, there are a few things to consider. And a few tips to take minimal to the max!

A great way to get high trims without paying high price is to install the base board, then a few inches up install a small trim. Then paint the 2 trims and the space in between the same colour.  That way  they look like one large piece of moulding.


You can trim out the walls in a dining room and paint it all out to look like a custom job.


 Add some trim to the side of stairs to beef them up.


Chair rails and plate rails can be added to separate paint and wall paper. 


Trim can be painted to look like wood, painted to blend in with a space, or painted an accent colour to add some interest to a space.

The same can be done to windows and doors, the possibilities really are endless. 




A great product that we deal with at work is Alexandria Moulding www.alexmo.com .Their website has a lot of great tips to achieve a lot of what I spoke of above.

As long as moulding and trim aren’t left as the last thing on your renovation list you too can have great mouldings for an even greater space.
Come back soon, and I'll share some more ways to apply Design on a Dime to your space!
-AR
*all images from www.alexmo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment