Friday, January 25, 2013

I Made That! - Dresser Edition

When my sister told me she was having a baby girl it was time to get some items together and help her with the nursery design. My sister needed a dresser and low and behold I had one that didn't match my furniture.

It was black and that just wasn't right for a new baby girl



So I got Cream Puff paint from Home Depot. I gave it a light sand, I hate this part of refinishing furniture, and a wipe down with a clean damp cloth.



I gave it a few good coats of paint in the cream puff. Try not to paint so much on the slides of the drawers, this will make it difficult to open and close the drawers.



Next up I made some diamonds out of a large sponge and made a pattern on the sides of the dresser. It is important to note that when sponge painting you need to dab off the excess paint on some cardboard or paper before applying to the furniture so that the shapes are light, you can see the base colour behind, and they are all uniform.



I did use a matte clear coat when it was finished to help with wear and tear.



And last but not least, I added so acrylic knobs to give it that girlie look.



Because I had some of the paint left over, I painted Ava's change table to match. It was an unfinished change table from Ikea. I knew this wasn't going to be a lasting piece so I didn't have to give it as much attention as the dresser, but it has held up really well so far.

I know that eventually Ava is going to want to change the style of her room and hopefully we can re paint this dresser together one day. Having a good solid piece of wood furniture is going to last a long time. Although I didn't invest in this particular piece (Thank You Mom & Dad) finding furniture at flea markets, garage sales, or the side of the road can be a plus, especially if it is wood and heavy.

Come back soon and Ill show you what else I made for Miss Ava!

-AR

No comments:

Post a Comment